1) All factories excluding seasonal factories employing 10 or more persons. (w.e.f. 01.06.2010)
2) Any establishment, which the Government may specifically notify as being covered.
3) Shop Employing 20 or more Coverable persons.
Note: As soon as the above conditions are fulfilled the employer should furnish the details in Form - 01 to ESI office for registration under the ESI Act, 1948 & Obtaining of the employer's Code No.
1) Any person employed for wages (up to Rs. 15000) a month, excluding remuneration for overtime work in or in connection with the work of a factory or establishment and
2) Any person who is directly employed by the employer in a factory or through his Agent on work, which is ordinarily part of the work of the factory or incidental to purpose of the factory.
3) Any person who is classified as disabled employee and working in Private sector, with monthly wages up to Rs. 25000/- p.m., provided they are appointed on or after 01.04.2008. Further employer's share will be paid by Central Government for 3 years.
In view of above under Section 2 (9) of ESI Act 1948 any person employed for wages on any work connected with the administration of the factory or establishment or any part, department or branch thereof or with the purchase of raw materials for, or the distribution or sale of the products of, the factory or establishment.
1) Free medical treatment is offered to covered employees at hospital and dispensaries run by the ESI Corporation & Tie-up Hospitals.
2) About 7/12th employees normal wage will be payable to him by ESI during sickness.
3) Maternity benefit for 12 weeks of which not more than 6 weeks should be preceding confinement.
4) Injury during/in course of employment resulting in temporary/permanent disablement entitles the covered employee to a regular payment to substitute his lost wages.
5) Death during course of employment entitles specified dependents to a regular payment.
6) One time payment of Rs. 10000/- to help meet funeral expenses.
7) Rajiv Gandhi ShramikKalyanYojna (Unemployment of the IPS who have been rendered unemployment involuntarily due to closure of Factory / Establishment / retirement or permanent disablement)
8) Vocational Rehabilitation Scheme (applicable to those employees in whose case loss of earning capacity resulting from employment Injury, assessed as not less then 40%)
For employee's contribution: Imprisonment for 2 yrs to max 5yrs and / or fine of Rs. 25000/-
For employer's contribution: Imprisonment for 6 months to max 3 yrs. and / or
Fine of Rs. 10,000/-